Avocado is having a moment. Actually, it's been having a decade. It seems like the past 10 years everyone has been obsessing over this fruit (yes! did you know it's considered a fruit because it has a pit?) From guacamole to avocado toast, seems like most restaurants will serve something with avocado in it - I mean hey, did you see even Wendy's is bribing you to eat there with the promise of fresh guac? And just a few days ago I saw on a friend's Insta story that they are now making avocado mattresses. It's madness!
I mean, I'm not here to complain. I love a good avocado toast. And the puns you can make? You've guac to me kidding me! According to the Washington Post, avocado toast first made an appearance in the 1990s however the craze really started in 2013 with Gwenyth Paltrow's book "It's All Good." Suddenly it was "move over peanut butter and banana, there's a new breakfast topping in town." If I had to pin point one food that made avocado the new "it girl," it would be avocado toast. And the "it girls" are following suit by posting it on every social media outlet. I admit, I have snapped a few pics and posted to #avocadotoast. #noshame.
However, it's not just that avocado toast looks good for the 'gram. Avocados are healthy and people are finally realizing they can indulge in a vat of guac and claim it's for their health. Is it too bold to say avocados also made "Veganism" cool? Ok, that's probably not true, vegans actually have had it right for a long time and really do care about their health and the environment... this is guacward... But look at the google trends. Avocados and Veganism both have a steady uptick and are still on the rise. Coincidence? I think not!
Based on the steady upward trend, I don't think avocados are going anywhere any time soon. Nor should they. They actually are really good for you. Healthline.com says:
1. They are incredibly nutritious - think the Vitamin alphabet. A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, E, K...
2. They contain more potassium bananas. Sorry bananas, you are really getting the shaft in this post...
3. They contain the good kind of fat that may even help prevent cancer.
4. They have lots of fiber so it's good for your gut.
5. They can help protect your computer-drained eyes thanks to the high amount of antioxidants.
If you're like me, after reading those benefits you immediately googled "Is it ok to eat an avocado a day?" The answer is yes, as long as you limit your serving size according to LiveStrong.com
So 'gram, smash and avocuddle away. They are only getting trendier and who knows what they will come up with next. To the next avocado trend, I say, Bravocado!
Rosé season is almost upon us (although tbh, was it ever really not rosé season?) I'm not ashamed to be "basic" here, I love pink wine and it's not just for the color. It's usually not too sweet, it's lighter than red wine, and it doesn't stain your teeth. Ok fine, and I do like millennial pink, but that's just a coincidence.
At happy hour I'll usually order a glass or it's a good hostess gift for summer shindigs, but this season I want to up my rosé game. Target just released their collaboration with Yes Way Rosé, so of course I'll stock up on that for the Spring and Summer, but I want to try these new variations on my fav fruit drink.
1. Frosé - Perhaps not the most original variation on rosé, but I've got to start somewhere right? Surprised I haven't tried this already? Me too. Time to break out the blender.
2. Rosé Chocolate - Wine and chocolate are usually paired together so let's skip a step and have them all-in-one. Let's hope in my attempt to make this I can resist the urge to eat the whole chocolate bar before even starting.
3. Rosé Frosting - *Watches one episode of Chopped, now an expert chef* I will be reducing the wine down to it's natural elements while adding a ridiculous amount of sugar. You can catch me on the next season of Worst Cooks in America.
4. Rosé Cider - Confession, I actually already tried this and it's magical. Bold Rock has a seasonal flavor and Angry Orchard and Crispin just came out with one too. I'll be adding this to my shopping list.
5. Rosé Infused Peaches - It's supposed to be like vodka infused watermelon... or so I hear. Debatable if this works, but I'll be shipping up the finest peaches from Atlanta for my experiment.
6. DIY Rosé Gummy Bears - Sugarfina is my fav but the cubes the gummies come in are too small. Make my own and I can never have too many.
7. Rosé Jello - The little kid in me in squealing with joy.
8. Rosé Popsicles - It gets mad hot in Richmond and it looks socially acceptable to have a pink freezie pop at work on the patio. Shh, don't tell!